Every woman I know have always spoken about having a flat tummy, one that is toned and taut yet feminine. You probably are no different. If you have struggled in the past and always fallen short of your dream of having a flat toned sexy tummy, then read on. Most of us believe that crunches are the best option. But, that’s not true. Crunching isn’t the best abs workout. They tone only the front and sides muscle of the stomach. It doesn’t tone all the muscles for perfect abs with hips, lower back, and upper thighs.
Core stabilization exercises are the best way to get rid of belly fat – nice addition is that they also help to make you abs toned, train your muscles, balance spine and pelvis – a nice 4 in 1. Core stabilization exercises are also effective in reducing back pain and improving posture. REad on for 7 of the best moves for rock solid six-pack abs.
Exercise #1: Abdominal Hold (with chair)
- Sit erect by a strong chair by keeping the hands on the edge.
- Point the fingers towards the knees.
- Tighten the abs and lift your toes 3 to 4 inches from the floor. Also lift your butt above the chair.
- Be in this position till you are comfortable. Try at least for being in this position for 10 seconds.
- Put yourself back again in the same position and repeat the same procedure.
- Do this abdominal hold exercise for 1 minute.
Exercise #2: Kneeling Side Crunch
This is a little difficult to do abs exercise for women at home. Practice will make you perfect. Avoid stretching yourself too much initially.
- Kneel down on the floor to the right side. Now, place the right palm on the floor.
- Balance your weight and slowly- steadily pull off your left leg with pointing the toes.
- Put the left hand on the back of your head. While doing this point the elbow upwards to the ceiling.
- Steadily lift the leg to the height of hip. Your palms must face forward, when extending the arm above your leg.
- Look straight towards your hand. Now, bring the left side of the rib cage to the hip.
- Take the start position again and do the sides crunch 6 to 8 times.
- Switch sides after doing two sets of 6 to 8 reps.
Exercise #3: The Hundred
This is a perfect lower abs exercise for women.
- Sit erect on the mat. Bent your knees towards the chest and keep your hands on the sides.
- Lie down on the mat. Bend your knees with your palms facing downwards.
- Exhale and take your head and shoulders upwards.
- Move the arms up and down till the fingertips.
- Inhale and exhale for 5 pumps. Make sure you are curling your chin toward the chest.
- Repeat this for 100 pumps.
- Lower back should be pressed in to the floor and lower abs must be pulled toward the spine.
Exercise #4: Opposite Arm and Leg Raise
- Keep the knees under your hips. Wrists should be placed under the shoulders.
- Take off your left arm upwards till your shoulder height and left leg till the height of the hip.
- Hold till you count 2.
- Repeat Opposite Arm and Leg Raise on the opposite sides as well.
- You can do 15 to 20 reps, with the alternate sides.
- After you are a master in this with enough practices, you can try touching your opposite elbow to your knee.
Exercise #5: The Prone Plank
- Take a push up position. Place your palms on the floor and behind the shoulders.
- Hold in this position for 30 seconds. Connect your abs and extend the arms and legs with the head straight aligned along with the spine.
- With proper practice and few days, try holding this position for up to one minute.
- After this you can also try one-arm stable switching plank. This is a bit difficult version of The Prone Plank.
Exercise #6: Hip Bridge With Crunch
- Lie on your back with your knees bent and your heels on the seat of a chair.
- Place your hands behind your head. Engage your core and squeeze your glutes, lifting your hips.
- Lower your hips to floor.
- Lift your shoulders off the floor to perform a crunch. That’s one rep.
- You can repeat this 1-3 sets of 12-16 reps.
Exercise #7: The Basic Plank
If you did not already know, The plank exercise is placed at the 10th rank by the ace study. This is excellent to tone up your abs, back and muscles.
- Lie on the floor mat with your face down and keep your forearms and palms flat.
- Push towards the floor, rise till the toes and rest on your elbows.
- Your back should be flat and straight.
- Slightly tilt the pelvis and pull the abdominals. This will avoid the rear end sticking in the air. They even prevent sagging in the middle.
- Hold yourself in this position for 40 to 60 seconds.
- Come back to the normal position. You can do this 3-5 reps.